If life lists were the stuff that sit coms were made out of, our little group here already has the cast ready. There are Allison and Sally, who set goals and proceed on them each week. There’s Pam who makes progress but is constantly finding something new to add to the list. There’s me, the Jolly Librarian, who must confess that I didn’t share some of my life list items, deeming them too personal for public consumption. (Yes, our loyal five readers, you are a public.) Then there is Emily. Emily is not a natural joiner, but she is so good-natured that she collapsed under peer pressure. And her slightly cynical view is always refreshing. Among us, we manage to make some progress each week.
Here are this week’s updates:
translate the book of Esther
work toward solving the problem of homelessness in Nashville
write some things I’m proud of
Edited a poem yesterday. Still working on the third draft of the larger piece. I put in a few productive hours last night.
become more fluent in Spanish
Listened to some Coffee Break Spanish this week. I conversed in Spanish with some students after ESL class and went to Spanish-speaking church Sunday evening.
give my best to the ESL classes I help teach
Sunday’s class went well! Using new vocabulary, we discussed the characters of the story we were reading and translating.
Grow vegetables and share harvest:
Shared cucumbers. Made cucumber sorbet. (The Jolly Librarian has once again been the recipient of a cucumber gift J. I am also glad I was not a recipient of excess cucumber sorbet!)
Cucumber Sorbet Recipe:
- Harvest excess of cucumbers and mint
Summer Weight-loss Challenge:
With summer being half-over, I have lost one pound and am 9 pounds from my goal. I now have only two jumpers and two skirts that fit me, so I am grateful I am on a four-day modified contract this summer. While I have not given up hope that I will lose the other nine pounds, so far, the other two members and I would have a midterm grade of “F” if this were a course.
My characters are misbehaving. I have a plot I need them to follow, and they are refusing by being very boring and tedious every time I write.
Read two books last week. I am ahead of my goal of reading 70 this year.
No letter this week – just too busy in prep for the NC upcoming show.
- Absolute cram in intense rehearsal for the NC gig, which created a great amount of pressure – but learning new material was so good for me on a musical level of growth. It made me want to book more gigs. Bring on the challenge! J
- Must find funds to join a gym – be it the Sportsplex for swimming, or more appealing would be the YMCA. The yearly rate and monthly fee are so high, I could buy my own pool –which, quite frankly, is appealing! But, then I couldn’t afford the upkeep of that either (or the pool guard I’d have to keep on guard to keep the snakes and frogs out)! Just not interested in hitting the pavement upon rising in the morning…what’s a girl to do? Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? (Everyone except Jolly Librarian, that is, who apparently has NO successful solutions to how to lose weight)… (The Jolly Librarian is not amused! JL)
- Started new Margaret Atwood book, The Year of the Flood.
- Very happy to announce that I am once again in the 130’s. I’m seriously contemplating a goal of 125 for the ideal body weight of my 5’4” stature. I felt great at that time in my life. We shall see…
Farmer Gadd chronicles
- Plants have deepened in their green color after last week’s feeding. I am amazed at the doubling in size! Tomatoes are ripening. Cabbages are a disaster, however, due to what, I cannot figure out. No sign of critters, but they are blackened and full of holes. A few seem to be okay.
Keep house organized
I am a queen of an orderly house! Praise the Lord, I’ve DONE IT!!! Finally ORGANIZED MY OFFICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! —thus, one goal was successful!!! (Applause!!!!! JL)
OTHER LIFE GOALS:
- Learn to Scuba Dive
- Go to Hawaii with my mom
- Hike some on the Appalachian trail
- Go fishing and camping this summer in NC under the stars
- Set up telescope.
- Make my office into a teaching studio
- Visit the pyramids and Egypt
- Tour the Holy Land via a cruise!
- Visit Machu Pichu
Sally is in California this week at a Merlot conference.