We are more than halfway through the summer and through the year. Maybe you’ve already taken your summer vacation, and you have those post-holiday blues. Maybe work is beginning to pile up as you get ready for fall semester. The return of the hot, steamy weather isn’t helping. And the World Cup is over.
What to do?
Now I’m assuming that you don’t have thirty days of vacation time and excess funds to leave town. If so, then stop reading this immediately and book your flight. For the rest of us, it’s time to take some mini-breaks to celebrate the last part of summer:
- Get an ice cream cone and don’t worry if some melts on your shirt.
- Watch the silliest, scariest, or funniest movie you can find. (I recommend revisiting Ghostbusters.)
- Read a good novel. (The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry is a must-read for book lovers.)
- Find a television series you missed and binge watch. (Game of Thrones, anyone?)
- Go to the pool or the gym, not so much to work out, but just to play. Splash in shallow end or play basketball.
- Go in that little shop that you’re always passing by and saying, “I really should stop there sometime.”
- Play tourist in your hometown.
- And, last but not least, rejoice in the fact that Weird Al Yankovic has come out with a new album of parodies. “Word Crimes” is for English teachers everywhere. And “Tacky” . . . well, you know who you are!