The end of the year is always a good time to take stock and to take what I’ve learned to make changes in 2017. So here goes:
- I went through much of my life not knowing most people’s political and social views. Now, due to social media, I know what my acquaintances think on every issue. Facebook has brought us many good things; this has not been one of them. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
- No matter what they say, many people don’t want facts, unless those facts align with what they already believe.
- Good things do not always happen to good people. In fact, sometimes very bad things happen to them. And sometimes bad people skate through life. It makes little sense trying to ponder the reasons for these things. We still have a responsibility to be good people and defeat evil when we discover it.
- At any given time, some things are ending and other things beginning. It makes little sense to try to hold on to an “idealized” past.
- No matter how many treats I give to my sister’s psychotic cat, he will still bite me when I try to pet him. It’s time to give up.
And perhaps, most important, whatever 2017 brings, we have no choice but to face it. So bring it on.